Monday 30 September 2013

A plead from an CFS/ME sufferer to vote YES



I have a chronic illness called chronic fatigue syndrome (also known as ME) with fybromyalgia which has no effective treatment although I take medication which reduces a number of the symptoms.

I am in the red no matter what I do or what I do without

Thank you SNP Scottish Government for removing prescription charges. Being charged anything at the moment would be too much as week on week I am in the red no matter what I do, or do without. I would have to forgo some if not all of my medication if prescriptions were not free.



I am fortunate

I am fortunate I know to have worked for getting on for 20 years allowing me to pay into a UK system which I thought was there to care for me when the worst happens.

I was too ill to appear the decision that said I was in ATOS’ opinion 100% fine

It seems in that respect I was somewhat naïve, as I have been left with no income whatsoever several times during my illness as I was too ill I to appeal the decision stating that in the DWPs or ATOS’ opinion I was 100% fine. At least I didn’t die which has happened to some, and at least I had some money in the bank to tide me over.



I want the 19 years of wasted contributions back

I am also aware that if I had worked for only a year I would be receiving the same benefit, and would love now to get the 19 years of wasted contributions back.

I have been penalised over and over for being responsible when I was working

Throughout the years I was working I saved money allowing me to graduate my disappearance into poverty, although almost always I have been penalised for this as my benefits were reduced as a result.

At least one worry has been removed?

Despite my best efforts my savings are almost gone, so at least the reduction to my benefits worry has been removed!? Small comfort.


I feel as though I am being punished for becoming ill

I feel as though I am being punished for becoming ill getting the small amount of money from the DWP in Employment and Support Allowance (although at least at present I am getting it!).

Without the help of family and friends many weeks I would be going hungry

I am expected to run my house on a little over £100 per week. Out of that I require to keep the roof over my head, pay the factor, pay for food, travel, the water part of my Council Tax, electricity, etc.

I am already cold throughout the winter and have no social life to save money

Without the help of family and friends many weeks I would be going hungry. I am already cold throughout the winter and have no social life to save money.



On a yearly basis the UK Govt. and their well paid servants ATOS, threaten to take this meagre amount of money away from me

On a yearly basis the UK Government, and their well paid servants ATOS, threaten to take this meagre amount of money away from me and force me onto Job Seekers Allowance which is even less, and is designed for well people looking for jobs.

Trying to get myself well is a big enough job most of the time

I would love to get a job (although trying to get myself well is a big enough job most of the time), and I am constantly trying to think of a job which I can do whilst ill (being a blogger is not well paid, I am currently in credit by £0, although I do hope for some pin money hence the ads on this site – I get paid if somebody is kind enough to press the link on one of them – although I am rather ashamed of needing/wanting to have them here, as my country must come before me particularly on this occasion). 


In a rich country such as the UK this is obscene

In a rich country such as the UK (and in particular such a resource rich country as Scotland) it is to me obscene that ill people as left in such situations as I find myself in, through no fault of my own. I have done everything possible right yet the UK systems are failing me. The trajectory of UK social security policy is to demonise the poor and ill more and more hoping that they will somehow disappear and not be such a drain on society.

My particular disgust is always reserved for the Tories (also known as the Nasty Party)

Only two parties are ever likely to be in power in the UK system, with the Liberal Democrats possibly filling in to prop up either Conservative or Labour Governments. All 3 of these parties have similar policies these days, particularly when it comes to social security (although my particular disgust as regards this issue is always reserved for the Tories, also known as the nasty party).



The UK is not OK for the vulnerable in our society

Only by the Scots voting YES in the 2014 independence referendum can I see any possibility that things will substantially change. PLEASE, PLEASE Scotland vote for a NEW politics and give some hope to the poor, ill and disenfranchised in your society. The UK is not OK for the vulnerable in our society.


The original film of the above can be found on Youtube on the Kevin Donnelly channel at this address...
Better Together on Poverty

No comments:

Post a Comment